AO-40 S2 Shutoff, Orbits 649-651

For the last three orbits, the battery voltage during the final 45 seconds
of  the 25 minute eclipse period has dropped to the point  where it has
triggered shutoff of the S2 Tx.  There are several reasons for this.  The
batteries are warm due to the negative solar angle and to protect them the
BCR's run them at slightly lower voltages, so they are less than fully
charged.  As they cool during eclipse, the voltage will drop some as
well.  We are also running the magnetorquer through eclipses which draws
considerably more power.

The cutoff voltage for the S2 Tx is set very conservatively and the
scheduling software has restarted the S2 Tx at MA=15 nominally each
time.  We have allowed this to repeat for three orbits to determine its
reproducibility and to evaluate the reliablity of the automatic
restart.  Everything has been nominal and the shutoff has been virtually
identical, within seconds, each orbit.  This morning, I have lowered the
shutoff threshold by one count (0.155 volts).  This should be sufficient to
prevent further eclipse shutoffs for this cycle, but if not additional
adjustments will be made.

The current perigee eclipse cycle runs through June 19th.  From  August 13
to September  18, AO-40 will experience much longer non-perigee eclipses
that peak at 165 minutes duration.  During these eclipses the S2 Tx will be
turned off by the scheduler.

--W4SM for the AO-40 command team