Best pre-amp for Mode S

I am in the process of building my AO-40 receive station and am considering
the purchase of a DB6NT pre-amp to complement a Cal-Amp downconverter (50db
gain) and a 90 cm dish.  The folks at DB6NT offer a single and dual stage
pre-amp.  They have 15 db and 35 db gain, respectively.

Are there any thoughts on which one would be better for this installation?
Is there such a thing as too much gain?

Karl R. Sandstrom, K5MAN
Greenwell Springs, Louisiana
k5man@arrl.net or