Communicating out of the grand canyon

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Daniel Wesemann wrote:

> I noticed AE4TM-9 transmitting apparently from the very bottom of Grand
> Canyon. Checking on http://map.findu.com/AE4TM-9 confirmed it.

> I'm about to spend a coupla weeks of holidays in some remote corners of
> UT and AZ (San Rafael, Maze, ...). If there's any "secret" way to make
> it outta there with my posit beacons, I would appreciate a hint :-)

Very easy.  Via PCsat or the ISS or UO-22.  You will get about 6 to 10
good passes a day  that are high enough to penetrate down into the canyon.
But PCSat is  dying and no one is listening to UO-22 on a regular basis
and feeding it into APRS and there is lots of congestion on ISS.

But for such places with over 30,000 visitors a day (at least 100 Hams per
day) I sure wish someone  would put up a small APRS digi there...

de WB4APR, Bob