Re: kc tracker and XP

At 05:41 PM 3/29/02 -0800, Laura halliday wrote:
>John K9IJ <k9ij@vx5.com>
>
>wrote:
>
>>I might suggest using an 'older' used(=cheap) machine running W95/98 for
>>KCT and other legacy Ham programs that need ISA slots. Networking this
>>with an XP machine can be done easily and inexpensively...
>
>I guess I'm dense or something, but if Windows XP breaks
>so many applications people apparently depend on, why are
>people upgrading?

Well XP, by itself, doesn't necessarily 'break' things. It's the
combination of XP and
the newer hardware. Each generation of hardware provides less and less
'legacy'
support. Today, if you build/buy a new machine, you have to go to great
pains to
find a Motherboard which supports any ISA hardware slots at all.

On the software side, it's not quite as bad as it seems, but XP is new and
it's not
'obvious' that it can be configured to provide support for older 16bit
applications. Once
you figure that out, most of the legacy apps will run. In many cases
they'll run better
than they would in Win2000.

I'm going to find out soon enough :-), my XP machine is being built now.

73
John - K9IJ

-

John Rice  K9IJ