The Other Answer Re: ISM interference on 2401 MHz

It is interesting that no one in this thread has nibbled on the bait I threw
out.  The other simpler, cheaper, easier (and maybe better) answer is mode
B.

One commentor lamented that AO-40 is not near as active as AO-13 was (this
has been my experience as well).  The truth is mode B is easier to do which
results in more users.  The common mode S downlink approach is to build a
mode B station and then put a downconverter in front of it.  Why not just
use the mode B station?

The amount of interfering items in the S band is ever increasing.  The
amount of interference on two meters has leveled off and is starting to
decline.  Mode B allows for much simpler antennas where pointing is not as
critical.  Mode J is plagued by pirates on the uplink, this has not been a
problem on mode B.  In band amateur use of two meters is on the decline (I
believe this is true of almost every band) making local congestion less of a
threat.

I worked mode B on AO-13 it was a blast!  I have been on mode S since
AO-40's transponder was turned on.  I have not been impressed.

This is just my personal opinion, but I can't help but think there is a
large group of others who agree.

Flame suit is on, so fire away.

73,
Joe