Re: ISM interference on 2401 MHz

Hi Fred

On Thursday 28 March 2002 15:59, Frederick M. Spinner wrote:
> One other possibility for the future is to go to higher bands that aren't
> popular for part 15 devices.  Is there an allocation in the 3.4 GHz band
> for satellite downlink?  10 GHz is another good band potentially.  Look at
> all of those DBS dishes out there...

Unfortunately 9cms is not allocated to the Amateur Satellite Service and it
is not available in many countries for normal amateur operation, Belgium and
Switzerland spring to mind.

I think that 1269 MHz would be a good downlink frequency, but unfortunately
it is only allocated as ground to space. I don't expect that this is likely
to change anytime soon.

<soapbox>
I think the biggest problem is that a lot of amateurs want things easy and
don't want to make an effort to move to the higher frequencies, so a
satellite with a good 10 GHz downlink would not be that active. It seems that
the 2m FM repeater mentality is creaping into amateur satellite operation and
stifling experimentation. Poor old AO-40 is much less active than AO-13 was.
</soapbox>

> For me, the solution is going to be moving 20 miles away from the city to a
> farm field!  In two months or so... :-)  Sweet...

You lucky man, I'm stuck in a first floor apartment.

> Fred W0FMS

Jonathan  HB9DRD/G4KLX