Re: ISM interference on 2401 MHz

>But who is really gonna lose?  If you push the FCC, then the answer
>will be a SLAM-DUNK.  THey will simply tkae the band from us or
>change us to SECONDARY and then we become the interferrers...  No way
>on earth is the FCC gonna tell the $$$Billion-dollar$$$ industry to
>cease.  To them, our complaints will be "the problem"...

Exactly. Part 15.247 has actually been one of the more successful FCC
rule-makings of the past 20 years, judging by the innovation it has
spurred and the number of inexpensive yet effective devices now on the
market and in use. It's about the only way left for an individual to
use the air waves without paying a large company a per-minute use fee,
paying the government billions of dollars in a spectrum auction, or
being severely constrained in the kind of information he can send.

"Part 15 transmitter" used to connote "toy", such as shoddily made
walkie-talkies with a range of 5 feet on a good day and a physical
life expectancy shorter than the 9V battery that powered them.  Now
Part 15 LANs and cordless phones made by major manufacturers are a
basic part of everyday life, and there's simply no chance that the FCC
would outlaw them merely to protect a small number of hams. Hams who
have very little innovation to show for all the spectrum they still
have.

>So since we are the million-to-one minority, its best to solve it at our
>own level.  There is no solution other than keeping your enviornment clear
>of these unwanted devices.  Choices are small...

Another choice is to take it as an engineering challenge. Let's devise
better satellite antennas that null terrestrial sources. Let's devise
modulation and coding schemes to resist interference from these
signals.  Let's educate our neighbors about these devices, e.g., by
showing them how to select channels not already in use by their
neighbors (and away from the amateur allocations). It's amazing how
cooperative a neighbor can be in resolving an interference problem if
you start by offering him something in return.

Hams are supposed to help advance the state of the art. And right now,
much of the work at the bleeding edge of the radio art consists of
finding ways to pack more simultaneous users into a given amount of
spectrum without harmful co-interference.

Phil