RE: ISM interference on 2401 MHz

Howard and all:

II have been reading with interest posts on this reflector.  I think there
is a war coming.  The war is going to be between licensed users of 2.4GHz
(namely hams) and unlicensed Part 15 devices, and LICENSED direct digital
satellite services.

I can't speak to the UK rules, but the US rules pertaining to Part 15
devices are clear.  I quote from them in the remainder of this post.

At 10:28 PM 3/26/02 +0000, Howard Long wrote:

>This is a good point. What are we secondary to, and is there a pecking
>order?
>
>In the UK I've always assumed that we share the band with many other
>services including Military, Home Office, Civil LPDs [aka Part 15 devices in
>the US] including a number of devices including tagging, spread spectrum,
>radio LANs etc.
>
>So are hams above or below part 15 devices in the pecking order?

*ABOVE!*

Section 15.5    General conditions of operation.

         (a)  Persons operating intentional or unintentional radiators
shall not be deemed to have any vested or recognizable right to continued
use of any given frequency by virtue of prior registration or certification
of equipment, or, for power line carrier systems, on the basis of prior
notification of use pursuant to Section 90.63(g) of this chapter.

         (b)  Operation of an intentional, unintentional, or incidental
radiator is subject to the conditions that no harmful interference is
caused and that interference must be accepted that may be caused by the
operation of an authorized radio station, by another intentional or
unintentional radiator, by industrial, scientific and medical (ISM)
equipment, or by an incidental radiator.

Notice that the rules clearly state that no harmful interference can be
caused by these devices AND they must accept interference.  From
whom?  Hams for one.

And who mediates the interference reports?  Section (c) of the same section
details this:

         (c)  The operator of a radio frequency device shall be required to
cease operating the device upon notification by a Commission representative
that the device is causing harmful interference.  Operation shall not
resume until the condition causing the harmful interference has been corrected.

So, IF severe interference is being caused by any Part 15 device, and say
you can't use AO-40, then a report to the FCC is in order.  According to
the above quoted section, the offending operator must cease.

The suggestion of using a beacon to cause the cordless SS phones to seek a
new frequency wily work with them, but probably NOT with some other devices.

73, Mike kf4fdj