From: "Estes Wayne-W10191" <W10191@motorola.com>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 4:25 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] ISM interference on 2401 MHz

> Scott Elliot wrote:
>
> in england, dont know about any where else, it clearly states in our band
> plan, that we have to accept interference from ISM users (industrial,
> scientific and medical).
>
> Wayne replies:
>
> Do cordless phones qualify as ISM users?
> Is there a regulation that "protects" cordless phones from interference?
>
> I rather doubt that they are "protected" from interference because the
transmitters are unlicensed, with no local frequency coordination
whatsoever.  Their primary method of avoiding interference is to change
frequency until they find a clear channel.  Perhaps a 2402 MHz beacon is the
ideal method to encourage nearby unlicensed broadband transmitters to avoid
interfering with the AO40 downlink.