An experiment 2.4 GHz SS Cordless vs Weak Signal

Having just recently purchased a Siemens 2402 cordless phone base and 3
handsets I decided to see what effect the phones would have on my
receiving setup. As I have yet to get my dish up, the experiments were
indoors with a G3RUH feed, an SSB SP13-Oscar preamp and an ICOM 970A
with UX98 module. What I found was that the Siemens system and 3
handsets (in idle mode) produced a strong popping sound throughout the
2400 to 2450 band. The good news is that the noise blanker in the IC970A
was effective in stopping all of the popping noise. Using the weak
harmonic from the LO of a nearby crystal controlled receiver, the beat
tone was clear of any popping. Obviously, more controlled testing is in
order to determine more accurately any rise in the noise floor caused by
these devices.
--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
Jleikhim@nettally.com

"Our studies have shown that this horrible force is so dangerous to
society at large that laws are being drawn up at this very moment
to stop it forever! Cruel and inhuman punishments are being carefully
described in tiny paragraphs so they won't conflict with the
constitution (which, itself, is being modified in order to accommodate
THE FUTURE)." -F.Z.