Re: HELAPS info?

Hi Claudio,

the AMSAT-BB archive would have more goodies than I have -:)
but here is one to help you along.
========
          Re: [amsat-bb] AO-40 Satellite RF
          Architecture Question
      Date:
          Sat, 23 Feb 2002 22:18:11 +0000
     From:
          Peter Guelzow <peter.guelzow@arcor.de>
       To:
          Joe Leikhim <jleikhim@nettally.com>
       CC:
          "amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org" <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>

Hi Joe,

Joe Leikhim wrote:

> 1. Why is AO-40's transponder described as
having receivers and
> transmitters when nothing is apparently
demodulated? There is an IF to
> which I would assume downconvertors and
upconvertors are interfaced like
> any other bent pipe transponder..

What we usually call a receiver is not a
demodulator and a transmitter
is not a modulator. However, we convert down to
baseband, i.e. 10.7 MHz IF
with some sort of bandwidth limitation.

> 2. Why do I see little discussion of the HELAPS
(sp?) power amplifiers?
> What are these? Are they an Envelope
Elimination and Restoration
> technique? How does HELAPS work?

Probably because this is an old technology,
unfortunately not widely known.

HELAPS stands for High Efficiency Linear
Amplification by Parametric Synthesis
and this concept was the subject of a doctoral
dissertation by Dr Karl Meinzer,
DJ4ZC, past president of AMSAT-DL and P3-D
Project Leader. Karl's concept has
been proven a while ago on the Mode B and J
transponders used for OSCARs 7, 8,
10 and 13 and on AO-40 (Mode-B and Mode-S). This
technique results in a very
power  efficient, and therefore cool-running
wideband amplifier.

> 3. Did HELAPS achieve the efficiency and
linearity required for the
> mission?

Yes, with the exception that the FSK signal from
RUDAK which is feed into
the IF suffers a little bit when there is other
traffic. PSK should be fine.

One year ago Tom Clark discussed HELAPS very
detailed, better than I
could do it here, so here is Tom's email from
last year..

73s Peter, DB2OS

----