Re: Re: AMSAT-BB-digest V2002 #52

Nagesh,

I agree with you thats hams all over the world would
like a near geostationary FM satellite but such a system
would need to support at least 50 high power downlink
FM channels which I'm sure you'd agree is just not
feasable at the present time.

What is feasable are satellites running Mode A (145/29 MHz)
with a 10W PEP transponder and a bandwidth of 150 KHz.
Such a satellite could support 50 simultaneous SSB QSO's
(or many times more if PSK-31 or CW were used).
A 1450 km polar orbit would be fine for such a sat although
a 4500 km orbit would be ideal is we could find a sutiable
launch vehicle.

The FM sats we have at present are no good for beginners.
Sats running Mode A linear transponder are the true easy
sats and its these we need to get newcomers into satellite
working.

Trevor M5AKA