Re: Newbie Q & A

Lou
--- snip ---
How come the real issue is NEVER talked about, when it comes to simple
operations, with "Basic" equipment? you can work AO-27 with 5 watts, 2 on
an overhead pass, I think you could work uo-14 on.5 watt. but the difficulty
lies in everyone pushing 50-100 watts into these birds, so the guy with a HT
and whip is talking into the wind
--- snip ---

Too true, at least in Europe and North America. However, the guy was
writing from VK, and down in this radio quiet part of the world you really
can do it with a few watts. People do.

"Why don't "we" talk about it?". Oh.. I think we do. There was a great deal
of discussion some months ago, including comments from those running 100
watts or more.

However, I would say that the greatest problem is not those with high power
transmitters, but those with poor receiving systems. In Europe, I often
heard stations calling CQ on UO-14 (59 sigs) who were in turn unable to
hear the station who responded.

Stranger still, were those stations who whistled into the mic, while they
(presumably) tuned up and down the band looking for their signal. UO14 is
never silent over Europe - even if there weren't countless hams calling,
there are still the illegally equipped Portuguese fishing boats working
simplex on the input frequency.

Poor operator practice is, in my observation, a far greater cause of
problems than simply high power.

My advice to those frustrated by trying to work UO14? Go somewhere else -
there are other satellites. I stopped bothering with UO14, and made myself
busy with FO20 and FO29, RS12, and occasionally AO27

Alternatively, you could move down here to ZL, and work OU14 from your
handheld, with flat batteries.

Sil - ZL2CIA.