Re: Newbie Q & A

> lies in everyone pushing 50-100 watts into these birds, so the guy with
> a HT and whip is talking into the wind, come on we have to admit, hardly
> anyone is using the minimal power to get into the birds, if everyone was
> QRP it would be easy...

Without taking a stand either way, I would say there would be no real
improvement..   In fact the number of completed QSO's would be worse.  A
collision is a collision.  Whether it is two stations with 5 watts or
with 500.  Neither one will be heard.

Yes, there are lots of folks that  use HT's on these birds.  No, they
won't win in a collision with a 500W station, and neither will they be
heard in a collision with another 5w station either.  But when the bird
has a gap and no one else hits it, then he can be heard.

Good luck.
bob