Re: Newbie Q & A

Lou wrote:

How come the real issue is NEVER talked about, when it comes to simple
operations, with "Basic"  equipment?  you can work  AO-27 with 5 watts, 2 on
an overhead pass, I think you could work uo-14 on.5 watt. but the difficulty
lies in everyone pushing 50-100 watts into these birds, so the guy with a HT
and whip is talking into the wind, come on we have to admit, hardly anyone
is using the minimal power to get into the birds, if everyone was QRP it
would be easy

Wayne replies:

The original inquiry came from a guy in Australia.  I think it's quite easy
for Australians to work the FM satellites with small antennas because there
is little or no congestion there.  North America, Europe, and Japan are the
only places that have so many users on the FM satellites that an uplink
"arms race" develops.

>From the busy places, there are two strategies to work the FM satellites
with small antennas:
1. Operate during off-peak times such as weekday morning passes.
2. Operate from a rare grid (announced in advance to amsat-bb) and people
will call YOU.

I don't operate the FM satellites very often, but I hear that a lot of
people in North America are very successful getting into the FM satellites
with dual-band mobile rigs in a car running 35-50W into 1/4 wave whips on
the roof of their car.  That's probably about the minimum uplink for
successfully operating FM satellites during peak activity times.  5 Watts
into an Arrow antenna will give you about the same EIRP and give one arm
considerably more exercise.

73 de Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA