Re: EU on AO-40: looking Sat Mar 16

"Scott Townley" wrote:

> Window to EU from my QTH in DM43 (Arizona) from 1215Z-1530Z or so.
> Will be CW/SSB calling for EU, CW -10kHz/beacon and SSB +30kHz/beacon
> Hope to hear some activity!
> (I know I'm not in a rare spot, but hey, it's worth a try!)
> ------------

Hey Scott,

I set my alarm clock and braved the bitter cold of an Arizona morning to get
on the bird. First contact was at 11:01z with DJ7AL, and I finished up with
I8CVS at 12:15z by which time the squint was up around 15 degrees and
signals were getting quite poor. I'm not sure where you got the 1215-1530z
window from. Altogether worked 5 new countries; DL, HB, F, PA & I. Signals
were very strong at times particularly from the guys running L-band uplinks.
My signal was very poor most of the time, had difficulty hearing myself at
times. That's with about 40watts to a 15ele linear yagi, so I was expecting
a stronger signal, but it appeared to be enough for the other stations to
hear me most of the time.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun and definately worth getting up for. I
appreciate the patience of those guys that made the effort to pull me from
the noise. Its good to get Europe in the log, just 3 more continents to go!

Perhaps we could talk direct at some point and compare performance realtime.

73  Alf  NU8I
Scottsdale AZ DM43an