Aluminium heat reflector = RF reflector

Hi AMSATs,

Today I tested the aluminium foil that is used behind heaters to reflect the
heat towards the room, instead of getting into the walls.

I tested this material already at 10GHz, but some amateurs still doubt it,
if it was usable at 13cm. So today I did some testing at 2m and 70cm.

I have taken my OSCAR 2m/70cm handheld antenna for recieving. First on 70cm
and later also on 2m. I first measured an 70cm signal with the antenna fully
complete. Then I put of the reflector elements, and I got 3dB less recieving
signal. Then I took some plastic pipe and put some of the heat reflector
material around this pipe and sticked it with some tape. Then I placed this
pipe with the material on the same place where the reflectors had been, and
guess what !!! The signal was like the signal with the original reflectors
:-))))

This test I did do also on 2m and it also worked.
So now I am sure this material will also reflect on 13cm, and I am already
constructing an 1,6m diameter size parabolic dish with it.
No, not with the umbrella principle .-) My idea is much lighter, cheaper,
and even much much smaller to transponder hehe.

What my idea is, I will tell you later when I am ready with the design of
it. But this material can ofcourse also been used with the umbrella design.
It is a very strong material, and even when it will damage, it costs
relative cheap and spare dishes can easily been made.

PS: About the emergency blankets I have no idea if they will work, but I
guess this is the same material.

Okee 73 de PE1RAH, William.