R: SWR testing of AO-40 S-band antennas

----- Original Message -----
From: Jason White <jason.white@saintleo.edu>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 4:01 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] SWR testing of AO-40 S-band antennas

> Hello list,
>
> I am lucky enough to have just come into ownership of a calibrated HP
8616A
> S band signal generator. I would like to learn how to use it to generate
> test signals and measure the SWR of my various AO-40 antennas (G3RUH
helix,
> patches, etc.). I know I'll need a coupler or slotted line as well as a
> meter. Does anyone know where I could find the "basics" of this sort of
> thing at microwave frequencies? I understand the basic procedure as
> illustrated in the ARRL manual, but there isn't much about microwave
> frequencies. I assume it's similar.. Is there any information that would
be
> of help to me in the Microwave experimenters book from ARRL, or the Mode S
> book from Amsat?
>
> Thanks
>
> N1XBP - Jason White
> EL88qi - Hudson, FL

Hi Jason,

For serious SWR measurements at 2400 MHz you need a high directivity
directional coupler like for example an HP 11692D or similar type and a very
well calibrated  power meter like an HP 435 A

You will find the theory and the basic procedure in "Fundamentals of RF and
Microwave Power Measurements" HP Application Note 64-1A wich is free
distributed by Hewlett Packard

This HP's classic 76 pages application note on power measurements is now
completely revised and updated.

Also i suggest to request the HP Application Note 46  "Directional Couplers
and Directional Detectors"

United States
Hewlett-Packard Company
Test and Measurement Call Center