Re: SWR testing of AO-40 S-band antennas

Get a directional coupler that covers the bands of interest (I see several
every year at Dayton), make a power meter using a microwave diode (or pick
up something like that surplus) and a good 50 ohm termination.  A simple
meter could be a PCB microstrip with a good diode and a 50 ohm chip resistor
with very small lines on an SMA connector.  The voltage out of that circuit
can then either drive a analog meter directly, or better drive a OP-AMP
circuit and an analog meter.  Simple and cheap to build.

To measure VSWR with a directional coupler, put the power meter on the "-10
dB" (or -20 or -30 depending on the coupler) port (if running power here is
the place to put the attenuator).  Put the antenna on the forward direction
first (arrow towards the antenna).  Take power reading "X". Then switch it
around so the arrow points to the signal generator.  Take power reading "Y".
  The reflection coefficient will be "X"/"Y".

Take the ratio of the measurements (X/Y-- as long as they are linear,
arbitary, non-calibrated, readings are ok).  From this voltage ratio
(reflection coefficient) there are ways to convert this to VSWR.  Or simply,
tune the reflected for minimum and the same effect will be realized.

When done tuning, if you want to know real VSWR make sure that the readings
are done after minimizing reflection, as both readings will vary with
different SWR.  (I.E. The more power that is reflected, the less goes
forwards...etc..)

(For coversion to VSWR, return loss, etc.  I found this site with Google:
http://www.mogami.com/e/cad/vswr.html )

Fred W0FMS