RE: Sporting Equipment ?

Richard, Can't help on the "sporting equipment" side but suggest it might
be worth asking an airline for the definition. Amateur radio equipment is
incidental to travel as would be skiis, surfboard, 'cycle etc. You'd
probably
get away with antenna etc but the main rig may not quite meet the
definition.

Some words of caution.
Security do not like HTs but permit cellphones! Remove the batteries and
pack the antenna and other accessories in your luggage.

If you try to take on board something of value which may attract the
attention
of security, have someone at the airport with you to take anything of value
back home. If security confiscate anything they deem an illegal carry-on
item
you will never see it again!

DO NOT pack laptops in your luggage. They have (or did have) a habit of
screen
self anihilation which the airlines now refuse to cover. This may also apply
other equipment with larger liquid crystal screens. I'm not sure why this
happens
and no "experts" have been able to help. The only difference is handling and
temperature, holds are presurised the same as the cabin but the temperature
can
get well below freezing on long flights. (If you worried about shipping an
pet
animal in a cold hold be assured they make sure they are in a special heated
area.
Its a check we always carried out when the hold load-sheet arrived.)

Always pack your bag knowing it will be dropped serveral feet or just over a
metre!
It amazing how well things actually survive the baggage handlers juggling.

Note what the aircrew use for bags, hard cases are far better than soft.
Crew are
more experienced at travelling than anyone and have probably lost their bags
more
often - that's personal experience talking!

73, Terry,  ZL3QL.