Re: Sporting Equipment ?

Gang

Let me clarify my request.

I often travel with ham gear and always carry the sensitive bits (rig, psu
etc) in my shoulder bag with the antennas, cables etc in the suitcase. It
gets a softer ride and avoids the weighing machines (standard trick eh).

But since 9/11 they are more touchy about what goes in shoulder bags; if I
bubble-wrap the gear and put it in the suitcase they seem happier ... but
then theres the risk of being overweight.

No problems with customs: in the event of problems (or potential ones) I
head for (or ask for) the guy with the most pips on his shoulder (less risk
that they're trying to prove something to the boss) and show my licence which
I carry separately). I'm not trying to avoid customs - just excess baggage
costs.

My question is specific: has anyone any experience with the "sporting
equipment" clause related to baggage weight. This comes from the extra
restrictions since 9/11.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org