Patent pending

> "patent-pending" is a non-term. It could mean anything
> from "we're thinking maybe someday that we may make some
> sort of patent application about something, maybe" ....

from the United States Patent and Trademark Office:

  Some persons mark articles sold with the terms "Patent
  Applied For" or "Patent Pending."  These phrases have
  no legal effect, but only give information that an
  **application for patent has been filed** in the Patent
  and Trademark Office.

  The protection afforded by a patent does not start until
  the actual grant of the patent.  False use of these
  phrases or their equivalent is prohibited.

Hank, N1LTV