Re: SWR on a receive-only antenna

At 07:00 PM 3/5/2002, Gunther Meisse wrote:
>I have read my VHF antenna book until I am blue in the face.
>I seem to remember that in a receive-only antenna the SWR is of little
>consequence. IS THAT CORRECT?

Less consequence than for a transmitter, but still some consequence.  VSWR
is a measure of mismatch.  The issues that drive concern over mismatch are
different for a transmitter than a receiver, but mismatch has consequences
in both cases.

When energy comes rolling in from a receive antenna, and hits an impedance
discontinuity, some of the energy is reflected.  That's bad.  You want all
the energy to go to into the receiver.  The energy reflected is lost.  It
goes flying back out the antenna!

The appropriate measure is "mismatch loss", which tells you the ratio of
signal out to signal in.  (Don't confuse this with "return loss", which is
something else.)  In other words, a mismatch loss of 1 dB does the same
thing to the signal entering your receiver as throwing an attenuator of 1
dB in a perfectly matched line.

Example: A VSWR of 3:1 corresponds to a mismatch loss of 1.24 dB.  Whether
that's ok or bad depends on your situation.  If losing 1.24 dB offends you,
then you would like a VSWR somewhat better than 3:1, etc.

Here's a web page with the formulas, and a table relating VSWR to mismatch
loss:  <http://ewhdbks.mugu.navy.mil/VSWR.htm>

If you have two or more impedance discontinuities things get more
complicated.  (You can play tricks with combinations of
discontinuities.  That's how matching sections and some kinds of filters work.)