USB-to-serial converter with WinXP

Steve KA5YFC wrote:

Does anyone know about using a USB to serial converter on WinXP to control a FT-847?

Wayne W9AE replies:

What do you want to know?

I use a Keyspan 4-port USB-to-serial converter with WinXP.  It works fine, but I have my FT-847 connected to the computer's one "real" serial port so it will work with InstantTune (a DOS program) as well as Windows logging and Doppler tuning prograsms.  The "USB" serial ports work fine with all Windows applications that I have tried.  I use the "USB" serial ports for transceiver PTT and CW keying, TNC interface, digital camera, and Palm Pilot.  The only potential problem I've noticed is that some old Windows applications don't support COM ports higher than COM4.  WinXP chose to assign my COM ports as 1, 2, 5, 6, and 7.  I presume COM 3 and 4 were skipped to avoid IRQ conflicts.  The COM port numbers are the same every time I boot up because all 4 "USB" serial ports are controlled by a single driver.  As Maggie cautioned, don't use "single" adapters if you need to add multiple ports.  Otherwise Windows may randomly reassign your COM port numbers.

I currently have a desktop computer.  For less money I could have bought a PCI 4-port serial card instead of the USB-to-serial adapter.  I chose the USB adapter so it could be used in the future with a laptop computer.  I would use a PCI card if I needed 16 serial ports (wow, Maggie that's a LOT of ports!!!).

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA