RE: s band converters, is the rsgb one any good?

Hello Scott

> also, what sort of power is required to get on p3d on 23cms at apogee?

For a good signal, under good conditions at apogee, for SSB you need about
1kW EIRPc. I may get flamed for suggesting such high power, but I can only
go from my own experiences of the L band uplink. That's 10W into a 20dB gain
antenna.

> another thing, anyone got any tips for making the g3ruh helix's for 60cms
> dishes, ive tryed to make 2 using a 40mm waste pipe like it says on the
> g6lvb site, but they come out all over the place. granted im using the
thick
> core from lighting cable, but its the same diameter. just wondering was
> there a difference in ridgidness (if thats a word).

Mmm... I think you may be right about the rigidity of the copper. Is the
cable you're using single- or multi-stranded? My early attempts at helices
used cable similar to yours, but after probably dozens of different
attempts, the description you see on my Web site including the maeterials
used are the result of many failures before!

If you email me your address off-list I'll mail you a couple of yards of
Westflex.

73 Howard G6LVB
http://www.g6lvb.com