Re: Am I hearing the S1 MB?

>On my transystem 3733 at 144.32542 (2400.32542) on MA 32 at 1644 UTC (1144
>Eastern) today on 90cm dish and circular feed???
>
>Very faint.
>
>Don Woodward
>KD4APP
>AMSAT 33535
>kd4app@amsat.org
>http://www.w-ent.com/ao40/index.htm

Don,

This was discussed briefly on the AMSAT-BB back in December.  What you are
hearing is real, but it is not the S1.  It is a harmonic of the S2 created
by its HELAPS power supply.  Michael Fletcher discussed this in a posting
on 2001-12-20 after Gunter Wertich asked the same question.  You should
also be able to hear the upper harmonic at the same offset + the S2 beacon
freq.  The signal is VERY weak (it is intentionally suppressed!) so hearing
it is a compliment to your system.