UO-14, AO-27 operation

HI All,
I  recently started my sat's activities (28 years of sw DX-ing,
contesting etc.). Now I am interested in UO-14, AO-27 operation. For this I
use handheld 4els QQ with preamp for 435mc dounlink (fine reception from
Al=0 to 0!),  2 els QQ (used before as terrestrial ant. with vertical
polarization) for 145mc uplink  and about 5-7w output. Uplink antenna has
possibility to turn in horizontal plane and does'nt in vertical. I also used
1/4 wavelength GP.
I have several QSO's through UO-14, AO-27, but results are rather poor.
Could you advise/recommend a simple for construction and installation
(on my balcony, hi) antenna (preferably omni)?
What is the power of  your rig  for UO-14, AO-27? Maybe my 5-7W is  not good
enough?
Thanks in advance for any information.
73! Oleg UX8ZA
CU on UO-14, AO-27!