Re: Urgent Packet Software Project needed

Bob, only way this is going to help is if "everyone" on the ground
lives by the rule that you don't go to the PBBS on the ISS.  I doubt
that will happen, I doubt that actually 5% of the people will live by
this rule.  The First time something gets posted on the PBBS is the
first time, *everyone* will try to get it.

It was a good intention, but I'm not sure one that will be complied
with.  Better, is there someway to implement the PACSAT protocol on
hardware at the ISS, then problem solved.  Not only does everyone
already have the solution, but it's a much easier way to deal with
the problem from a software standpoint.  I understand that it might
require a different solution at the ISS, but it's the only way
to "enforce" the primary objective.

Just my .02 I guess.

Alan

--- In amsat-arch@y..., Bob Bruninga <bruninga@u...> wrote:
> As you know, The Space station is back on line with its PBBS
(Personal BB
> System).  As has been demonstrated over the last 10 years, the use
of a
> single-user PBBS in space is not efficient as each of hundreds of
> individuals want to log on and download the same messages.  But in
> the brief 8 minute passes, only one person per pass can use it, and
only
> if he  has 2,000 W ERP to get all of his ACKS back up to the PBBS.
>
> The net result is 99% of everyone fails.  And we are shooting
ourselves in
> the foot when we bring this guaranteed failure (99%) to demonstrate
at
> schools etc.  Frustration runs Rampant, and everyone floods the
AMSAT-BB
> with EMAIL complaints.
>
> What we need is authors to write CODE on the ground that will suck-
up
> every packet coming down from ISS and heuristically build
a "mirror" for
> the PBBS in all ground user software.  THus, everyone gets a copy
without
> transmitting a single packet.  We could even have this all feeding a
> central WEB page mirror site!.  The Mirror will have the
same "look" and
> "feel" of the on-orbit PBBS and will allow everyone to have a look
and be
> able to read it.
>
> THus we will gain the efficiency of the PACSATS because every
message will
> be uploaded only ONCE and only downloaded ONCE if any.
>
> Notice, I have not said a thing about "what" would be in the
messages...
> That is a political issue I wont touch, but there needs to be a
> significant FILTER.... But that is another subject..
>
> But we need SOFTWARE to build the mirror site.  We have all the RF,
IGates
> and Internet connectivity IN PLACE to make it work.  All we need is
> someone with the time to write the collection software and WEB page
front
> end (java)...
>
> In the mean time, all software writers of UI code should also write
> collection software to do the same thing.  THus everyone monitoring
the
> downlink captures and builds his OWN copy of the flying PBBS.  Thus,
> his users DONT need to each connect to download the same thing.
They all
> just capture it on the fly...
>
> THis is essentially what the PACSAT protocol does well, but we must
> implement it on the  ground and we are stuck with the fact that the
PBBS