Re: AO-40 Satellite RF Architecture Question

Hi Joe,

Joe Leikhim wrote:

> 1. Why is AO-40's transponder described as having receivers and
> transmitters when nothing is apparently demodulated? There is an IF to
> which I would assume downconvertors and upconvertors are interfaced like
> any other bent pipe transponder..

What we usually call a receiver is not a demodulator and a transmitter
is not a modulator. However, we convert down to baseband, i.e. 10.7 MHz IF
with some sort of bandwidth limitation.

> 2. Why do I see little discussion of the HELAPS (sp?) power amplifiers?
> What are these? Are they an Envelope Elimination and Restoration
> technique? How does HELAPS work?

Probably because this is an old technology, unfortunately not widely known.

HELAPS stands for High Efficiency Linear Amplification by Parametric Synthesis
and this concept was the subject of a doctoral dissertation by Dr Karl Meinzer,
DJ4ZC, past president of AMSAT-DL and P3-D Project Leader. Karl's concept has
been proven a while ago on the Mode B and J transponders used for OSCARs 7, 8,
10 and 13 and on AO-40 (Mode-B and Mode-S). This technique results in a very
power  efficient, and therefore cool-running wideband amplifier.

> 3. Did HELAPS achieve the efficiency and linearity required for the
> mission?

Yes, with the exception that the FSK signal from RUDAK which is feed into
the IF suffers a little bit when there is other traffic. PSK should be fine.

One year ago Tom Clark discussed HELAPS very detailed, better than I
could do it here, so here is Tom's email from last year..

73s Peter, DB2OS

----