Re: Experience with K3TZ patch (construction question)

Greg, I've done just what you have suggested with a few modifications in
procedure.  First I mounted the type N such that the mounting flanges were
on the opposite side of the ground plane, thus just the "bump " sticking
up between the ground plane and the patch.  This was a mistake until I
realized that I need to put a solder bead between the bump and the ground
plane nearest the patch.  It was highly successful changing the distance
between the ground plane and patch simply by heating the center, moving
the patch experimentally up and down for a new resonant frequency. Also, I
found that by tilting the patch, I could get better circularity, which is
an admission that I'd not cut the patch accurately enough but illustrates
another way the final antenna feed can be optimized!  Cliff K7RR