Re: Cheap Yagi Antennas for VHF/UHF: experiences?

Fred,

> Send an e-mail to Kent Britian and ask him.  Unfortuately, it is simple if
> you are the guy who designed the originals, but if I remember correctly, he
> used YagiMax to design the rough antennas and then used the YagiMax'ed
> models in NEC to optimise.  I think K5OE said once that the J-matched
> elements designed to be fed, if they were normal straight elements, with
> like, 17 ohms impedance.  (3:1 impedance transform ratio with the "J"
> match).  But don't hold me to that.
>
> So the simple answer is, unless you already are fairly good at modeling
> antennas, there isn't a simple answer.

Correct on all points.  My attempts at modeling the J-feed in NEC4 did not work out well, but the YagiMax models do work as advertised (I also do the same thing with folded-dipole designs, using 12.5 Ohms as the feed impedance).
73,
Jerry, K5OE