Cheap Yagi Antennas for VHF/UHF: experiences?

I have printed the Cheap Yagi article and have read it a few times. I have a question I hope someone can help with. I know I must be missing something obvious.
The drive element shows L and H. what is the TOTAL length of the driven element including the turn and return part of the element? Is the total  L + H + 1/2L. Also
on the 144 Mhz how do I add additional directors? The first part of the article says "... the ability to grow with the same element spacing..." but the lengths in
the tables have different lengths and spacing. I assume this is to maximize performance and if you just add more directors you will get some improvement but not as
much.
One last question:  If I use brass welding rods that are 36 inches long, and join 2 with a piece of brass tube, will the increase in diameter for this joint impact
performance ?
Thanks,
Fant - W0TFS