R: [bod] Re: MAROC-TUBSAT -- a review

----- Original Message -----
From: RaySoifer <RaySoifer@cs.com>
To: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@usna.edu>; RaySoifer <RaySoifer@cs.com>
Cc: <amsat-int@AMSAT.Org>; <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>; <moon-net@nlsa.com>;
<bod@AMSAT.Org>; <ka3hdo@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 8:38 PM
Subject: Re: [bod] Re: [amsat-bb] MAROC-TUBSAT -- a review

> At 02:11 PM 1/24/02 -0500, Bob Bruninga wrote:
> >On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, RaySoifer wrote:
> >
> > > As always, you're entitled to voice your opinion, which I've always
> > > considered worth listening to even though I may not agree.  I fail to
see,
> > > however, what possible good can come to amateur radio from having a
strong
> > > FM signal on 144.1 MHz.
> >
> >But, as of today, I thought it was gone?
> >
> >I think most of us at one time or another have made mistakes in HAM
> >radio (Several years ago I left my PACSAT station once with the uplink
> >tuned to the local  favorite voice repeater, until a team of DF'ers
> >knocked on my door!...).  Fortunately we all knew each other and so it
was
> >a learning experince for us all...
> >
> >I agree, that the FM signal shouldn't be there, but I just suggest a
> >cautionary approach until we find out more...  A simple call to the
owners
> >with a polite comment on the appropriateness of FM in the CW band might
> >be sufficient.  Maybe the absence of the signal today is because they
> >have learned of their mistake and have corrected it...?
> >
> >A knock-down-their-door approach until we know if the intent is malicious
> >(I dont think so) does not leave us in a good negotiating position for
> >what might come next?
> >
> >Bob
> Bob,
>
> I'd rather not take up the bandwidth of all of these mailing lists with
> what's becoming a repetitive debate, but three points should be made:
>
> 1.  The 144.1 MHz transmissions have not been heard for approximately 24
> hours.  I hope that means they're gone but it's far too early to declare
> victory.  We don't yet know why they stopped, or if they will resume.
>
> 2.  You mention mistakes you've made as a ham.  If I tried to do that
about
> myself, there wouldn't be enough bandwidth in the world to accommodate
them
> all.  But, from everything I've heard and seen so far, I have no reason to
> believe that any of the people in charge of MAROC-TUBSAT are hams.
Indeed,
> even the syntax they used in their Morse identifier ("VVV" instead of
"CQ")
> was drawn from commercial radio procedure rather than amateur.  As far as
> we and our German colleagues are aware, they never made any attempt to
> contact any recognized amateur radio organization prior to launch, or
> afterwards.  There is, indeed, an IARU band plan in IARU Region 1, with
> which the operation of MAROC-TUBSAT on 144.1 does not fit.
>
> 3.  With all due respect, let me say again that I don't consider reporting
> interference to an IARU Member Society as a "knock down their door," "burn
> them" approach.  I, for one, trust ARRL and IARU to exercise the
> appropriate degree of discretion in handling these reports.  They've had
> many years of experience in these matters, and know what they're
> doing.  That said, it's still important that a documentary record be
> assembled of any non-amateur interference in our bands, for the reasons I
> outlined in my earlier e-mail.  With the help of those who submit reports,
> IARU is in process of doing that.
>
> 73, Ray

Ray,

I aegree and ZS5AKV,the IARU Satellite Adviser for Region 1, 2 and 3 should
do that and i suggest to involve Hans in this problem writing to him at
hans@intekom.co.za and also to involve Arie,PA0EZ,the Chairman IARU Region 1
VHF/UHF/Microwave Committee  pa0ez@amsat.org

I know both very well because i was representing Italy as a member of ARI
in the Committee C5 during the IARU Region 1 Conference,Lillehammer 1999
and so i have included  both gentlemans in to the list and i am confident
that they will do a good job to solve problems like this in the future.

73" de i8CVS Domenico