Orbit Numbers (or, tail wags dog; or, man bites dog)

> From: "Gunther Meisse" <gjmouse@neo.rr.com>
> To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
> Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] Transponder up time ? Response
> Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:31:45 -0500
> 	[...]
> ... Orbit 602 which is actually orbit 601 (the keps are historically wrong
> by one orbit), ...
> 	[...]

While I have a tendency to tilt at windmills, it does seem to me that
the world would be a better place if an orbit had one and only one, unique
number.  And, my windmill-tilting tendencies notwithstanding, convincing
NORAD to change the way they count orbits seems like a bit of an uphill
battle (if I might mix metaphors, or perhaps change to a simile).

Perhaps, a proposal to the AMSAT-NA Board of Directors to accept NORAD's
numbering of orbits as AMSAT's would be in order.

Yet another modest proposal from,

-tjs