Re: Antennas for sale

Thanks, Lem, for making the surplus antennae available.

For anyone interested in modifying these antennae for circular polarization, I have some simple guidelines on my web page to convert one of these rectangular BBQ dishes to a round, circularly polarized, dish.  I converted a 2' dish a few months ago and it worked out so well I have just left it up.  Please see:

http://members.aol.com/k5oe

and select the "2' Dish Mods" menu item.  If you have a different size dish, you can confirm the "focus" for your dish by inserting a Step 2a:  place the dish flat on the floor facing down and measure the depth (d).  The focus formula is:
focus = D^2 / 16d  (or or you FORTRAN old-timers... D**2/16d)
where D is the diameter of the dish and d is the depth.

The K5GNA dish I used had a focus of 10.33" and I put the back of the helix cup at 11" so the "phase center" of the helix was at the focus of the dish.

If you use a patch feed, place the face of the patch at the focus.  I recently built a K3TZ patch for a small DSS dish and was very positively impressed (http://www.qsl.net/k3tz/index.html) with it's performance compared to a helix.  Coupled with a 3731 (already has an N-connector), it makes a compact, high-performance antenna feed.  See K5GNA for the downconverters.
73,
Jerry, K5OE