AO-40 and KA3HDO in the news in GPS WORLD

For those of you interested in the use of GPS onboard our spacecraft, I call
attention to an article in the latest (Feb.2002) issue of GPS World. Pages
22-31 have an article entitled "Formation Flying in Space". There are 5
authors from NASA Goddard group headed by Frank Bauer, KA3HDO (including
Frank!) and one from the Stanford (Jonathan How is a Professor in the same
department as Bob Twiggs and his small satellite projects).

Figure 1 of the article shows some AO-40 GPS results from the Trimble TANS
Vector receivers that NASA/GSFC provided. [The data shown was laboriously
downloaded thru RUDAK by WD0E and KB0G, by the way].

[In addition to the P3D/AO40 Trimble receivers, the article also mentions
GSFC's in-house PiVoT receiver which had its genesis in the receiver that
Frank and I tried to develop for P3D back in 1994/5. When it became clear
that our "home-brew" efforts wouldn't converge in time for launch, Frank
arranged for the NASA experiment using NASA-supplied hardware.]

For anyone interested in some of the applications of GPS on spacecraft, I
urge you to read this article!

73 de Tom, W3IWI