Re: AO40RCV & FT-847

Don Woodward wrote:

	I just got a computer in my shack and I'm wondering what setup other FT-847
	users are using to do auto Doppler correction - I.E. Cable, etc.

Wayne replies:

The message body suggests a different question than the message title.

If you are asking specifically about AO40RCV, as the title suggests:

AO40RCV can tune your FT-847 using the up/down tuning lines on the microphone connector.  The AO40RCV help file shows a simple 2-transistor interface circuit and the wiring connections for the computer's serial port.  The FT-847 manual shows the up/down pins on the microphone connector.  I haven't done it yet myself, but several others have.  Perhaps they could share their advice about how to configure it. For instance, do they put the FT-847 in "fast" tuning mode so that each up/down tuning increment is 10 Hz?  How many Hz off-frequency do they let the signal get before AO40RCV applies a tuning pulse?

If you are asking about auto Doppler correction for satellite transponder operation:

Satellite tracking programs such as InstantTrack+InstantTune, SatPC32, Nova+W6IHG Radio Tuner, and WiSP+WiSP DDE can Doppler tune via a direct serial connection to the FT-847 CAT port.  That works great for transponder operation.  But it's not good for telemetry decoding because tuning would occur in the middle of telemetry blocks, resulting in decode errors.  The AO40RCV up/down Doppler tuning only occurs BETWEEN telemetry blocks.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA