Re: Pos Limit in the TH-D7A(G) and Satellites

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Sergio Matias CT2HMN wrote:

> I've done some tests with my TH-D7A(G) regarding POS LIMIT...
> ... the radio ignores this limit when it receives a Shuttle or Satellite
> object. I've also performed this test on a TM-D700E and the display
> shows >P [and ignores the packet] as it should.

Ah, this is good news/bad news.  I did make that recoemmendation to
Kenwood and I am glad to see that this is in the TH-D7(G).  This means
that the HT users can set their POSITION LIMIT to say 60 miles to
concentrate on only local stations and ignore all DX stations.  But that
Satellites are not affected by the limit.

THus the HT user will only see "locals" and when an APRS satellite is in
view  (Although it may be 800km away) it is also LOCAL!  Too bad this
exception for satellites was too late for the 700E.  I think it is not
that way in the D700 either...  Only the D7(g) has this special exception
for satellites.

 de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob