Re: AO-40 question.

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Frederick M. Spinner wrote:

> Bob, you are an engineer, you should know this.. tilde is often used for
> "about equal" when on a computer.

Yes, I konw.  Maybe I can clarify why I asked "why is a tilde there?" in
the context of its value as an indicator of "approximation" relative to
the possibilty of missinterpretation when it is used in the position of a
"-" sign indicator.

Considering that the leading byte of a numeric field is usually reserved
for the sign, when the "~" is put in that place, on casual reading it
can have a tendency to be missinterpreted as a "-" which is the
character that is expected in that location..  Thus it might be better to
use the word "approximately" or "about" instead of the "~" if there is
any chance of missinterpretation...

Bob

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob