Re: TVRO dish and AO-40

You know, we should beat up the ARRL for saying this.  A ten foot dish at 4
GHz (TVRO) has about a 2 degree 3 dB beamwidth, and many people have gotten
this to work.  So at about 7 degrees or so at 2400, using standatd tvro
equipment it shouldn't be THAT hard to peak the dish at AO-40.  True TV sats
are geostationary.  But for that matter at apogee AO-40 doesn't move very
fast either.

It might be difficult for a beginner, but I'd bet anyone $50 that as long as
the sat was on and at a receivable attitude, I could get a TVRO dish to
track it.

Having said that-- if you are technical enough to understand both AO-40
tracking and TVRO equipment I see no reason that it cannot be done.

Underilluminating the dish to get gain down a bit is another possibility.  I
think that article did a disservice to the AO-40 community by discouraging
people to try it.

Another person who's done the BUD on AO-40 is W0LMD
(http://www.ultimatecharger.com/dish.html)

I'm going to try it if I ever get to build my house in the country and move
there.  (I'm the the city, and the covenants s*ck..)  I have two dishes in
storage an 8' and a 10' Orbitron.  I also have a 4' dish in case it doesn't
work.  Covenants say I can't use any of these at my present QTH.

Fred W0FMS