Re: fiberglass boom

-----Original Message-----
>From: Luc Leblanc (VE2DWE) <luclebla@sorel-tracy.qc.ca>
>Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] fiberglass boom

>Just a quick note PVC is NOT A GOOD INSULATOR AT MICROWAVE
>FREQUENCIES but losses are acceptable at UHF frequencies.

>Luc Leblanc VE2DWE (AMSAT 33583)
>SITES WEB:http://www.sorel-tracy.qc.ca/~luclebla/

I have two az/el rotor systems both using booms of 10 foot lengths of
1 1/4 inch ID PVC electrical conduit pipe reinforced with an 8 ft piece
of hardwood dowel.

One has been up there for over 10 years and the other  about 4.
They have been used to support a variety of home built helix and quagi
ants that have given me thousands of satellite QSO's. My experience
does not indicate any detrimental effects due to losses in the boom.
It currently supports and runs through the middle of my 23 cm 4 X 27 turn
helix array.  More than one third of my AO-40 QSO's have
lately been made with 10 watts in the shack with this array.

A piece of PVC conduit pipe, a piece of PVC water pipe,
a piece of ABS waist pipe, a piece of fiber glass stake used for my
ant booms, and a piece of plastic used for mounting brackets along with
a cup of water were put in my microwave. The ABS pipe was slightly
warm and the other items remained cold to the touch.
The cup of water boiled.

Clare VE3NPC