Re: Satellite Software

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Ken Patterson wrote:

> As I survey the options available to those of us interested in satellite
> APRS operation, the problem of repetitive station configuration changes
> becomes an issue.

Run APRStk.  It does it all.

> If I want to routinely or automatically work PCSAT, ISS, Opal, UO-22 &
> Sapphire, then I basically only need 1 dual-band radio & a 1.2k / 9.6k
> baud TNC. For the sake of discussion here, let's assume the Kenwood
> TH-D7A(G) and the TM-D700, since the RF & TNC sections of both radios
> are PC controllable.

APRStk was written for exactly this purpose.  Here is what APRStk does:
1) It Runs APRSdos and will let you keep an eye on all APRS locally
2) It tracks all AMSATS and maintains a display of all SATS in view
3) It maintains a display of all SAT passes expected in the next 2 HRS
4) It will auto tune the Kenwoods to the freq, and doppler and band
5) It will auto track a Radio Shacek $65 rotator to follow each sat.
6) When nothing else is happening, it will go back to 144.39 or any
   other frequencies of your choise while waiting for the next pass.

With APRS and a Kenwood APRS radio, you wont miss ANYTHING happening
around you or in the sky over you.  But I find I dont like this system
going back to 144.39 between passes, because it then overwrites all the
Satellite aprs users too quickly...  So I have mine go back to 146.52 and
446.0 when no satellites are in view...

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob