Re: Re: Best HT for UO-14 ?

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Mike Branda wrote:

> I thought that the D7 allowed simultaneous receive, but not simultaneous
> transmit and receive.

Lots of people have been confused over that.  Its "internal TNC" is not
full duplex, but the radio is.  So you can talk on 2m and listen on the
other bands at the same time.  But you cannot transmit packets on one band
and reecive packets on another band at tthe same time.

Prior to the THD7(G) model the TNC was one band only.  With the G model
the TNC can listen on one band and TX on the other and can operate at
either 1200 or 9600, but still when it TX's PACKET on one band, then
the tiny internal TNC cannot simulateousely process RX packets at the same
instant.  This has no imact on any digital satelltie operatiosn other than
the old PACSAT protocol where you will loose a few packets in the downlink
each time you TX on the uplink.   But for all other UI digital satellites,
it is perfect.
Bob

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob