Re: ft-736

The FT-736 internal supply is a switcher.  The switching pulses are murder
on the capacitors.  The major failure mode of a swithcher is in the
capacitors.  They loose capacitance and the ESR (equivalent series
resistance) increases.  THe switching supply starts by rectifying the AC
primary power and filtering it.  This is applied to a switching device that
is switched at a high frequency the get the transformer smaller. The output
of the transformer is rectified with a high frequency rectifier and
filtered. There are voltage and current sensing circuits that control the
switching circuit, either by pulse width or frequency.  If by pulse width,
the wider the pulse width, the more current the supply will deliver.

Now to the failure.  If you have a capacitance meter, remove each
electrolytic capacitor and check its capacitance.  Any capacitor the
measures the rated capacitance or below, change it.  If you have an ESR
meter also check the ESR of any capacitor that measures ok for
capacitance.  If the ESR is too high, replace it.  The replacement
capacitor should be rated for switching service and also for 105 degrees
C.  If you cannot make the capacitance and/or ESR measurements change the
primary voltage converter capacitors. These are the two capacitors that are
rated at about 200 VDC just after the rectifier for the primary AC voltage.
Any capacitor that shows signs of overheating, leaking electrolyte or
bulging is to be replaced.  If in doubt, replace it. Capacitors are
relatively cheap and most of the battle is getting to them. Once you have
them out for checking, unless you have a very good reason to use the old
part, replace it.

This goes against what we were taught about locical
troubleshooting.  However you are trying to fix a supply that was consumer,
not engineering driven.  There were cost trade offs to get you to buy the
product.  These cost trade offs included the use of the wrong type of
capacitor.  The capacitor that was chosen may have been as good as it gets
when the supply was designed.  Today we have better parts available.  Aso
use the largest capacitor that will fit into the space.  The smaller a
capacitor is, the more heat it will generate for a given capacitance and
voltage.  The larger parts will run cooler and last longer.  And be sure to
use capacitors rated for switching service.  These will last the longest.

I have fixed a number of switching supplies with these
techniques.  Switchers are a very high failure item in VCRs, to the poing
that there are kits of parts available for most VCR power supplies to fix a
supply that has failed from bad capacitors.

Your symptoms are classic of a failed capacitor.

Hope this helps
73
GLenn
WB4UIV