Re: 10,000th SETI Workunit Milestone

   Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 18:17:45 GMT
   From: Richard@g3rwl.demon.co.uk (Richard W L Limebear)

   Its a pity that their recent change of some sort of "bandwidth usage policy"
   now means that I will be putting less work units into the "pot". Its next to
   impossible to communicate data either way in the UK weekday evening-time
   nowadays unless I stay connected for a long time ... and we pay by the
   minute for ISP calls over here.

It's not an arbitrary policy.  SETI at home is hosted at UC in
Berkeley, and UCB has a bandwidth problem with the rest of the world.
It's not clear what the solution will be, but in the meantime, getting
into UCB is a problem during the day.

I'd suggest running a WU caching system, and scheduling connections
between 0300 and 0600 your time.

73, doug