Re: Musings about 1.25 meters

220 MHz is only allocated to hams in ITU region 2.  That basically means
North and South America.  Everywhere else in the world, 220 MHz serves some
other purpose.

This is why 220 is not a satellite band.

There may be more 220 use in your area than you realize.  In my area, we
have a couple of DX packet clusters.  There are also a number of folks who
use 220 MHz in VHF contests and for other weak signal work.  You've just got
an FM transceiver (like me) so that isn't much use to you.

The best way to make use of 220 is to find a use for it yourself.  If there
are no repeaters up in your area, talk to your club and see if they will put
one up.  If not, see if you can get hold of one of the old ones and put it
up yourself.  220 is a band that is beginning to come alive again.  There's
once more reasonably low cost radios that can be had to get a person on the
band.  It's great band.

73,

Jon
NA9D