RE:Amateur radio equipped bouy (was Amateur Satellites definitions?)

Am Sonntag, 3. Februar 2002 09:00 schrieben Sie:

> Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 22:50:37 -0500 (EST)
> From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@usna.edu>
> Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Amateur Satellites (definition?)
>
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Terry Bendell wrote:
> > I read with great interest your "Remote" experiments. Let me share with
> > you a developing project we have going here along similar lines.
> >
> > Living on the Shore near a part of the great lakes I was taken with the
> > idea of designing and building an inexpensive self-contained
> > amateur radio equipped bouy. Equipped with APRS, GPS, Temperature
> > and  wind direction/speed sensors.
>
> There is an unpublished low power uplink receiver on PCsat for just this
> purpose... (see the published PCsat mission)  we have been hoping someone
> would launch an experimental ocean buoy and let us all track it by PCsat,
> ISS, UO-22 or any of the other digital relays in space. One could make
> sometihng that would last a year on just a few lbs of batteries or
> indefinately on solar panels.

Hi Bob, Terry et al!

In Germany a group called AATIS
'http://www.aatis.de/Projekte/Treibbojen/treibbojen.html' is planning such an
experiment with a freefloating bouy in the Gulfstream from the US eastcoast
to the european westcoast. The group is a 100% ham group and the general goal
is to bring pupils to ham radio. This year they intend to bring out a small
bouy (ex EPIRP-case) into the lake constance during the Ham Radio fair end of
june in Friedrichshafen, Germany!
The bouy floating over the atlantic should send data via satellite (i.e.
APRS-bursts) and shortwave (PSK31).
You can find more on their hompage as well as a contact person for this
project. Unfortunately the homepage is entirely in german language......

de Wolf, oe7ftj