Re: Amateur Satellites (definition?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Bruninga" <bruninga@usna.edu>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2002 7:22 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Amateur Satellites (definition?)

> The point I was trying to make was that just because an amateur satellite
> does not have a user transponder, does not then by definition make the
> satellite NON AMATEUR in the context of the ITU rules.  (see OSCAR 1).

Indeed!  I'd say that 70 percent of my use of Amateur Radio involves
communication with nothing more than some kind of remote platform that I
communicate with for the purpose of satisfying my own educational thirst.
For example, a couple years ago I built my own Earth-bound satellite
platform just to see if I could do it.  My goal was to get at least a 1
percent flavor of what it is like to build, use and control a real
satellite.  It included an ATV camera transmitter, a few weather instruments
(as if such were any value in the real outer space environment) and several
other scientific experiments.  I used solar power and in the end tried to
emulate a completely self contained package.  Am I ready for the real
thing....heck no...but it was fun and I learned a ton about power management
and bi-directional remote control .  I never one time ever communicated with
any other Ham operator with this package.

I also fly remote controlled aircraft using Amateur Radio as the link.  I
know all about what it means when someone else attempts to use the frequency
I am then using.

I know my above text is not aligned exactly with your overall point, but my
point is that Amateur Radio means a ton of different things to different
people.  Sometimes I think we jump to flash point conclusions before all the
facts are either known or are possible to know.

Gary Memory, N7BRJ/DA1BRJ