Re: the news media...

> Obviously these groups do have very good press departments and/or good
> connections to journalists etc...
>
> It is very hard these days to get much attention without the above.
> Just sending a press release or other information to various newspapers
> or news agencies won't help unless you have connections to those who
> actually publish (journalists) or decide what's getting published..
> Even getting with AO-40 news on http://www.slashdot.org is good luck...
> Once you get into the cycle, indeed other news agencies will read that
> too and may jump on the train...
>
> We need to find people within our AMSAT organizations which are journalists,
> good writers and which have necessary connections..

This is not always true.  Editors place stories based on a number of
criteria.  The first criteria would be is this story news?  Satellites go up
so often they are hardly news unless the payload itself is news.

So if the story is not new worthy it really doesn't matter who you know it's
not going to get much ink.  Other world events can bump stories at the last
minute.  Because Amsat has launched many Satellites over the years the
launch of a new ham satellite to a international daily news paper would not
rank up there very high.

PCSat got coverage because of the student angle, and the fact that students
built a satellite, is news.  Very nice human interest story.  Combine that
with a slow new period and bingo world wide coverage!

There is no doubt a skilled PR person can help.  But if it's not news worthy
you are going to make it to the a daily news paper.  The specialty magazines
have a little different criteria.

73
Barry