Re: Controlling 28V relays

Estes, your idea is neat.  A manual voltage doubler.

Another circuit that occasionally comes in handy when you have
a 28V relay and a 12VAC winding is to use a conventional
voltage doubler, feeding a large electrolytic through a
dropping resistor.  With the relay off (no load on the doubler)
the cap charges up to 35VDC or so.  When you pick up the relay,
it snaps in smartly, then the voltage slowly drops off to a
nice holding voltage, limited by the dropping resistor.
When you drop out the relay, the cap again charges to 35V,
ready to snap in the relay next time.  I think it's a good
idea to use a scheme like this on relays in hot locations
(such as up in a box near your antennas) for long coil life.
John  W5EME